Online teaching has become a wonderful option for working from home online. Today, I am going to introduce what I believe is the best teaching platform online. If you are interested in teaching online, then you need to read this Outside review.
Even if you are not a traditional teacher, Outschool still may be the opportunity you have been looking for.
What is Outschool?
Outschool is a marketplace where parents find classes for their children. It was founded in 2014, in San Francisco, CA. Amir Nathoo is the current CEO of Outschool.
The marketplace is geared towards children between the ages of 3 and 18. The classes are offered in a variety of formats and a variety of times. The teachers create and teach their own classes. The teachers set the schedule, determine class size, and what will be charged per class and per student.
The classes are live classes that are taught in real-time. Outschool provides the platform and the marketplace that connects the students to the teachers.
- online listings for classes
- access to a community of students
- secure online payments
- a platform for video lessons, chat and messaging between teachers and students (Zoom is used)
- a platform for communicating with parents and students outside of live class
- Plan and create lessons to be taught (the type of lesson and what is to be taught is up to the teacher)
- Teach live classes, monitor student progress, and communicate with parents
- children up to the age of 18
- a wide variety of learning needs
Hiring Process and Pay
- must have experience working with children (teaching, tutoring, coaching, etc.)
- must be at least 18 years old
- pass a basic background check
- be experts in the field of classes that are being taught
- be creative and original in-class lessons
- Willing to provide excellent customer service
- Full-time residents and legally able to work in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand
You do not need a college degree or any type of certificate to work for Outschool. You must have some expertise in the area that you are teaching, but this qualification is very broad.
Teachers must agree to teach according to Outschool guidelines and policies. Outschool teachers must have access to high-speed internet, HD camera, and a headset for audio is recommended. The hiring process is easy and straightforward.
To apply, prospective teachers must fill out an online application.
The application will ask you for
- Your name, phone number, and email
- Explain your expertise and any experience you have working with children
- Explain what topics you will be teaching and what type of lessons you will teach
- Submit a short video (30 to 90 seconds) so show off your online classroom and online teaching ability
Once you submit your online application, you will need to wait for Outschool to get back to you. It takes almost a week to get approved. You will do a background check once approved to teach. The results are usually returned with 1 day.
Once the application and background check is approved, you will set up an Outschool Teacher Profile
Your profile includes
- your name, a headline, and information outlining your experience and expertise
- include a short video introducing yourself to students and parents
- fill in the contact information
- you set up a schedule and availability (there are no minimum or maximum classes or hours you can teach)
Once you have set up your teacher profile, you must set up an Outschool class or classes. You have a great deal of flexibility of what you will teach however keep in mind that the classes must be secular, objective, and age-appropriate.
Classes offered in Outschool include traditional classes that students take in schools such as math, science, history, and reading. However, Outschool has many non-traditional classes for students as well such as cooking, movie reviews, dance, video games, and so much more.
It is not unusual to find classes on topics such as Minecraft and Dungeons and Dragons, just to give you an idea of how flexible Outschool is with the classes you can teach.
To Create an Outschool class you will
1. Create a title, select a subject, and write a summary of the class to be taught.
2. Select the type of class (one-time, multi-day, ongoing, or flexible).
3. Create a cover image for the course (Canva is great for this).
4. Create a detailed class description. Explain what will be taught and how it will be taught.
5. Set the age range, class size, and course time frame.
6. Set learning goals, assessments, and homework expectations (optional on some categories)
7. Explain any materials, apps, or supplies needed for class.
8. Set the price for the course.
9. Set the refund policy.
10. Submit the course for Outschool approval.
It takes anywhere from a few hours to a few days to get the course approved. If the course is rejected (which happens), compare the course to the stated requirements, and inquire with Outschool to adjust and resubmit for approval with Outschool.
Outschool teachers set the prices for their classes so they set their own pay rates. As students sign up for your classes, Outschool pays the teacher 70% of the price and keeps 30% once the class is taught.
Outschool pays weekly for the classes taught the previous week. Outschool pays teachers via PayPal.
Here is an example of how the pay works: Let us say you teach a class on Monday and you charge $15 per student for a one-time class and you set the class for 10 students. Ten students sign up for your class and you teach it. The class grossed at $150. You receive 70%, so 150 * .70 equals $105. So, the following Monday, Outschool deposits $105 into your PayPal account.
Tips for Getting Hired
The hiring process is straightforward and easy. In fact, it is the easiest hiring process that I have ever had for almost any job, traditional or online. It is very easy compared to other online teaching platforms.
The difficult part is coming up with a class or lessons that you want to teach young people but with a little reflection, this is not really that difficult either.
What are you good at? What are your interests? What do you have experience with that most people do not? If you can answer these questions, then you will come up with a great class that parents will want to sign their children up for.
If you decided to apply, just hit the apply button below and then send me an email and I can help get you started. Once you are approved, Outschool provides a list of topics weekly of what parents are looking for so you can adjust to meet market demand.
Pros and Cons
- The hiring process is easy
- You make your own schedule
- You decide what you teach.
- You do not need a degree or certification to teach
- The money is good, I have been teaching online for 2 years and I have experience with 3 other online companies. The money you can make with Outschool is much greater because you set your pay rates.
- The one downside is that you must create your own class and prepare your lessons but some including myself that this is more of a pro than a con.
My Final Thoughts on Outschool for now…
As you can tell from this post, I am very impressed with Outschool and I highly recommend it for anyone looking to generate income online from the comfort of their home. My only regret is that I did not start teaching for Outschool sooner than I had.
Teaching English Online NOT for you?
Check out my #1 Recommendation for making money online
(***Affiliate links populate this page which means if you click through and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission – at no cost to you- which is used to pay for this web page. Thank you. ***)